Istanbul Card 2023 (The Complete and Best Guide)
Istanbul transportation card Istanbul Card is a refillable ticket for public transport in Istanbul in the form of a plastic card. It operates on the metro, light rail, bus, ferry, and funicular.
Several people can use one card. We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the card is valid when traveling on the ferryboats, which are an integral part of Istanbul’s urban transportation and connect different points of the city. For tourists, this is also beneficial because, using a transport card, they can catch a ferry to the Islands from Eminonu pier very cheaply.
It acts like a regular transportation card. While traveling by metro, light rail system, ferry, or funicular, you must put on the reader and pass through the turnstile. City buses, as a rule, don’t have turnstiles. You must insert the card into the reader and get on the bus. You don’t need to re-insert the card into the reader when exiting.
- The discount system works in the change made within 2 hours. Depending on the number of transfers, the fee is reduced by 20-40%.
- The discount calculates when transferring within one mode of transport (for example, from the tram to the tram) and when moving from one mode of transportation to another (for instance, from the tram to the metro).
- For example, the journey will cost less if you take the funicular from the light rail at Besiktas station to Taksim station (to get to Istiklal).
Where to Buy Istanbul Card? How to Fill the Transportation Card?
Istanbul Card is the most straightforward card to buy and load at all metro, light rail, ferry, and funicular stops.
Note that terminals are rare at bus stops. For example, if you are going from Eminonu to Miniaturk Park, ensure that you have enough money on the card for the return.
Follow the steps below for Istanbul Card renewal:
- Take the step one card and put it to the right of the screen on the reader. You can’t hold the card with your hand; it doesn’t fall off as there is a small shoulder for it.
- In the next step, press the ‘Replenish card’ button and place the money in the bill acceptor. The funds will be instantly credited to the card account.
Does It Make Sense to Buy an Istanbul Card?
If you are visiting Istanbul alone, the Istanbul Card definitely makes sense. Tourists actively use local transport, especially using light rail. It is incredibly wasteful to buy a one-time travel ticket separately. This is about 1.5 times more expensive than using the Istanbul Card.
How Do I Get a Travel Card for Istanbul?
You can quickly get the Istanbul Card from all metro, metrobus, tram, and ferry stations.
What Can You Use Istanbul Card For?
You can use the Istanbul Card for all public transportation in the city. So you can save money and travel everywhere.