How To Get from Istanbul Airport to The City Center? (The Best Route)
This guide on how to get from Istanbul airport to the city center will help you make this transfer to your hotel in the most comfortable and fastest way.
The city has two international airports: New Istanbul Airport and Sabiha Gokcen, both well connected to the center by public and private transport.
The first one is 35 kilometers north of the city and receives flights from big companies such as Turkish Airlines. Sabiha Gokcen is 50 kilometers away. This guide shows you how to get from Istanbul Airport to the city center.
How to Get to the City Center or Sultanahmet from the New Istanbul Airport?
The New Istanbul Airport is the airport that receives the most traffic in the country and has all these means of transportation to reach the center of Istanbul. Check out the alternatives to find out how to get to the city center or Sultanahmet from the New Istanbul Airport:
- Metro: The M11 metro line, which will take you to the center and connect to Gayrettepe station, where you can connect with the M2, will be put into service shortly.
- Bus: Several lines travel from Istanbul Airport to the center, such as IST-19, which stops in Taksim, and IST-20, which contains in Sultanahmet. These buses depart every 15 minutes. It takes about 80 minutes. Another option is to take the airport express bus H-2, which drops you off at Sisli-Mecidiyekoy metro station. From here, you can reach Taksim and Sultanahmet with the M2 line.
- Private transfer: This is the most comfortable option as it will wait for you at the terminal in a little over an hour, depending on traffic, lifting a sign with your name at the airport and taking you directly to the door of your hotel.
- Taxi: You can choose yellow taxis.
If you want to use public transportation in Istanbul, we recommend you save money and time by purchasing an Istanbulkart charging card or 5 Pass Cards and 10 Pass Cards.
How to Get to the City Center or Taksim from Sabiha Gokcen Airport?
Take a look at the following alternatives for transport to the city center of Sabiha Gokcen Airport, which receives 25-30 million passengers a year:
- Bus: ‘Havabus‘ will take you from Sabiha Gokcen to the center (Taksim Square) in 90 minutes. If you are only staying in Kadıkoy, another option we recommend is to take the E10 or E11 lines. If you want to go to the European side, don’t forget that you have to take a ferry that takes one hour.
- Taxi: You can prefer yellow taxis to the Sultanahmet area or Taksim.
- Private transport: You can also choose this comfortable method.
How Do I Get from Istanbul Airport to Central?
You can choose one of the buses, taxis, metro, and private transport options to reach the center from Istanbul Airport. The most expensive is the private transport option.
Is There a Metro Line from Istanbul Airport?
There has yet to be a Metro line between the airport and the city center. However, once the construction of the M11 line, which includes the Istanbul New Airport route, is completed, transport will be possible by metro.
Is There Public Transport from Istanbul Airport?
There are public vehicles from Istanbul Airport. These public transport vehicles depart every 15 minutes. It takes about 80 minutes.
What is the Cheapest Transportation in Istanbul?
Buses are the cheapest transport method in Istanbul. Sometimes it gets crowded, but you can go anywhere in Istanbul with these vehicles.